Apertura 2019 Starts on July 19th
SAN NICOLÁS DE LOS GARZA | Monday, May 20, 2019.- The Liga MX formally announced the next Apertura 2019 tournament, with the participation of 19 teams, after San Luis was promoted to the First Division, where Veracruz will remain.
- Atlético San Luis is joining the Liga MX after earning their promotion, so there will be 19 teams in the First Division, requiring each team to rest for one fixture.
- The Apertura 2019 tournament starts on July 19th and ends on December 15th.
- There will be only one Copa MX tournament in the football year, with the group stage starting on July 30th and the final stage on January 21st, while the Grand Final will take place on April 14th or 15th.
- The Champions Weekend will be held on July 13th and 14th in Los Angeles, California, comprising the Golden Ball award, as well as the matches Champion of Champions (between América and the winner of the Final between Tigres and León) and Súper Copa MX (between Cruz Azul and Necaxa).
- The Champions Cup will take place in September in Atlanta, Georgia, between the winner of the Champion of Champions and Atlanta United.
- There will be a new Binational tournament between Mexico and the United States, with details to be announced shortly.