Brought to a Halt in the Azteca

MEXICO CITY,  March 30th.- The UANL Tigres were brought to a halt in their upward trend, having lost 3-0 to América on matchday 12 of the Liga MX.

With this result, our team holds onto 26 points and second place in the general table, while León has reached 29.



The start of the match looked promising for Ricardo Ferretti’s players, since just two minutes in, Eduardo Vargas controlled inside the box, but was so closely marked by América’s defense that he was unable to finish.

Soon afterwards, at minute five, Bruno Valdez scored the hosts’ first from inside the box. He seemed to be offside, but after a VAR review the referee confirmed the goal.

After that, the Águilas gave the impression of wanting more, reflected in the intensity of the pressure they put on Tigres’ attempts to come out from the back and attacking as soon as they recovered the ball.

However, our team gradually began to gain possession, rotate the ball across the  pitch, something they do so well, and began to put the pressure on the opponent’s goal.

At 18’, Enner Valencia’s attempt was blocked by the defense and, a minute later, the Ecuadorian leapt inside the box, receiving a cross from Javier Aquino, but his header was too high.

Aquino, at 21’, came very close with a powerful mid-distance shot that keeper Marchesín only just managed to save, conceding a corner.

A minute afterwards, Aquino shouted for a penalty when he entered the box from the left, was pushed from behind and knocked down, but the referee didn’t agree.

América responded with a shot  by Andrés Uribe, at 24’, forcing Nahuel Guzmán to leap and stretch to the limit to send the ball out for a corner.

Enner appeared again at minute 32, attempted a scissor kick, but the ball rolled past the outside of the left post.



At the start of the second half, it looked as though our side was going all out for the equalizer, since they were dominating in possession and recovery, but were unable to press forward and penetrate the opponent’s goal area.

Nevertheless, at 48’, Aquino had an opportunity with a mid-distance shot, but a defender intervened, conceding a corner. Luis Quiñones tried to attack along the right flank, in partnership with Chaka Rodríguez, but they couldn’t get close.

The opponent began to use counterattacking as their main strategy since they wanted even more, and, at minute 68, they succeeded when Víctor Aguilera capitalized on a free kick to score the second, sending the ball under the wall and into the net inside the right post.

Being 2-0 down made it more difficult for our team to come back, although they never stopped trying.

At 73’, Luis Quiñones’ weak shot was blocked by América’s goalkeeper. Later, Lucas Zelarayán, who had substituted Vargas, had a chance with a free kick, but his attempt hit the wall.

Minutes before the final whistle, at 87’, Nicolás Novaretti received outside the box, his shot hit the post and ended up inside the net. The final score was 3-0.



AMÉRICA: 1 Agustín Marchesín; 3 Jorge Sánchez, 4 Edson Álvarez, 5 Guido Rodríguez, 8 Andrés Uribe (14 Nicolás Benedetti 62’), 11 Andrés Ibarguen, 15 Nicolás Castillo (21 Henry Martin 50’), 18 Bruno Valdez (2 Carlos Vargas 79’), 19 Víctor Aguilera, 22 Paul Aguilar and 30 Alex Ibarra.


TIGRES: 1 Nahuel Guzmán; 3 Carlos Salcedo, 4 Hugo Ayala, 5 Rafael de Souza, 9 Eduardo Vargas (33 Julián Quiñones 62’), 13 Enner Valencia, 19 Guido Pizarro, 20 Javier Aquino (8 Lucas Zelarayán 79’), 26 Luis Quiñones, 28 Luis Rodríguez and 29 Jesús Dueñas.




1-0 (5’) Bruno Valdez shoots from inside the box and scores.

2-0 (68’) Víctor Aguilera scores off a free kick to the inside of the right post.

3-0 (87’) Nicolás Novaretti’s shot hits the post and goes into the net.








REFEREE: Jorge Antonio Pérez

ASSISTANT REFEREE No. 1: Michel Morales

ASSISTANT REFEREE No. 2: César Cerritos

FOURTH OFFICIAL: Jonathan Hernández