Looking to come back at home: 0-1

GUADALUPE, May 15th.- Disappointed, we made our way back to the Universitario Stadium, though fully intending to come back after falling 1-0 this evening in the first leg of the Clausura 2019 Semifinal against Rayados.

               Our team needs to win on Saturday to turn around this Monterrey Derby that is more alive than ever.


                FIRST HALF

                The first minutes of this half of the match were taxing for our players, since the opponent was achieving overlap runs and generating opportunities.

                Just two minutes into the match, Carlos Salcedo cleared poorly, allowing Rogelio Funes to control and penetrate the box, but in the one-on-one with Nahuel Guzmán, Patón was triumphant, saving his goal from what could have been the first.

                A minute later, it was Luis Rodríguez who tried to create a chance with a shot from outside the penalty area, but was blocked by the defense.

                Then, at minute seven, Avilés Hurtado came in from the right, drew Nahuel Guzmán off his line and, finding himself without an angle, got off a cross that Chaka Rodríguez, at the far post, cleared out for a corner.

                Tigres had their best play so far at 12’, when Luis Quiñones broke through into the center of the box, but his shot went high over Marcelo Barovero’s crossbar.

                However, the hosts continued with their plan of attacking and, at 13’, Dorlán Pabón received a cutback from Miguel Layún, fired off a cross that Funes feinted and Nahuel doesn’t react, putting us 1-0 down and getting us into trouble.

                Afterwards, the home team lessened their pace, while our side did their best to get back into the game. At 19’, Jesús Dueñas’ shot went straight into Barovero’s hands and then, at 21’, Enner Valencia’s header missed to the left.  

                At 32’, it was Luis Quiñones who found his way once more into the box, but his shot off a half-turn was blocked by Rayados’ goalkeeper.

Tigres seemed to be reacting, since at 36’ Luis Quiñones broke away again and sent a through ball to Valencia, who was unable to control, allowing the defense to intervene.



In the second half, our side sought possession and to play as far as possible with long passes, given the condition of the pitch, but within just a few minutes we already had a total of three players booked, with Guido Pizarro and Luis Quiñones added onto Dueñas’ yellow card.

At 52’, Gignac passed to the right where Luis Quiñones looked as though he could create an opportunity, but the defense intervened. Seconds later, the Frenchman headed to Valencia in the box, but the defense denied him his chance as well.

Monterrey’s strategy at that point was to achieve recovery and rapid overlaps, clearly seeking to force our side to make a mistake. 

At the 60thminute, Chaka Rodríguez received in the box, cut back looking for support, but the defense intercepted the shot.

At that point in the match, manager Ricardo Ferretti made his first substitution, replacing Valencia, who wasn’t having a good evening, with Chilean Eduardo Vargas, seeking to reinforce the team’s attack.

Later on, Lucas Zelarayán, also known as Chino, took over from Luis Quiñones, who despite all his efforts hadn’t made much headway.

Gignac had a chance at 69’, but the shot was far too high. Nevertheless, Tigres was beginning to improve their recovery and, as a result, their attack.

A few minutes went by and at 72’, Javier Aquino’s mid-distance shot went wide of the left post.

At 79’, Dueñas controlled and attempted a mid-range shot that missed to the left.  Barely a second later, Chaka Rodríguez was replaced by Israel Jiménez.

Rayados responded at 84’ with a shot by Maxi Meza, who had just come on as a substitute for Avilés Hurtado, but Nahuel stood firm at the back.

Aquino came close at 87’, when Vargas crossed from the right and the defense decided to let their goalkeeper take care of it, so the Oaxacan thought on his feet and nearly defeated the keeper.



                MONTERREY: 1 Marcelo Barovero; 4 Nicolás Sánchez, 7 Rogelio Funes, 8 Dorlan Pabón (19 Ángel Saldívar 80’), 16 Celso Ortíz, 17 Jesús Gallardo, 18 Avilés Hurtado (32 Maximiliano Meza 67’), 20 Rodolfo Pizarro (3 César Montes 78’), 21 Miguel Layún, 29 Carlos Rodríguez and 33 Stefan Medina.

                MGR.: DIEGO ALONSO

TIGRES: 1 Nahuel Guzmán; 3 Carlos Salcedo, 4 Hugo Ayala, 5 Rafael de Souza, 10 André-Pierre Gignac, 13 Enner Valencia (9 Eduardo Vargas 62’), 19 Guido Pizarro, 20 Javier Aquino, 26 Luis Quiñones (8 Lucas Zelarayán 67’), 28 Luis Rodríguez (2 Israel Jiménez 80’) and 29 Jesús Dueñas.

                MGR.: RICARDO FERRETTI



1-0   (13’) Funes cuts back to Dorlán Pabón who scores with a mid-range shot.



MONTERREY: Jesús Gallardo (15’), Carlos Rodríguez (18’), Rodolfo Pizarro (55’)

TIGRES: Jesús Dueñas (5’), Guido Pizarro (46’), Luis Quiñones (48’), Nahuel Guzmán (64’), André-Pierre Gignac (93’)


                RED CARDS



                REFEREE: Jorge Isaac Rojas

                ASSISTANT REFEREE No. 1: Michel Morales

                ASSISTANT REFEREE No. 2: César Cerritos

                FOURTH OFFICIAL: Diego Montaño