Tigres Denied Their Fourth Champion of Champions Title

CARSON, California, July 14th.- The UANL Tigres’ winning streak came to a halt this evening after losing in a penalty shootout to América, after the game’s regulation time had ended 0-0.

                At the end of the 95 minutes of regulation time, Rafael de Souza, Hugo Ayala, Guido Pizarro and Javier Aquino missed their spot-kicks, while Nahuel Guzmán saved shots by Paul Aguilar and Francisco Córdova. Bruno Valdez’s earlier attempt went high.


                FIRST HALF

                The first 45 minutes of the match started with the opponent taking charge, creating opportunities very early on. Nevertheless, Argentine keeper, Nahuel Guzmán, blocked a shot in the fifth minute and Tigres gradually began to regain ground.

                 At 12’, Aquino broke away along the left flank, shook off a defender and crossed towards Lucas Zelarayán, but the defense intervened.

                Four minutes later, Renato Ibarra had a chance from outside the box, but the ball went off course, under goalkeeper Patón’s watchful eye.

                Then, it was Argentinian Zelarayán’s turn, when he tried to break into the box, but a defender intercepted to cut off this promising-looking chance.

                At 35’, Mateus Uribe created the most dangerous play so far in the match, but his header went high over the bar.

                Later, at 43’, Carioca sent a long pass to Zelarayán, who lowered the ball with his chest, but was unable to control properly and the shot went too high.


                SECOND HALF

                In the second half, Tigres’ determination to attack was reflected at 47’ when Luis Quiñones penetrated the box, but the defense intervened to concede a corner. In the very next play, the ball smashed into Marchesin’s right-hand goal post and América breathed a sigh of relief.

                At 50’, Uribe’s header inside the area was blocked by Hugo Ayala, and, at 53’, André-Pierre Gignac, who was beginning to play a leading role in the game, crossed a header that missed to the left of Águilas’ net.

                It looked as though the man of the evening would be Patón, who spectacularly saved a 57th-minute header by Henry Martí from inside the box.

                Substitutions began at that point, when Tuca decided to replace Zelarayán with Chilean Eduardo Vargas, clearly seeking to consolidate our team’s attack.

                América’s Nicolás Castillo, who had only just come on, gave Nahuel the chance to shine again, this time with a one-handed save at 74’.

                Gignac tried again at 81’, showing that Tigres hoped to avoid a penalty shootout, but the defense sent his shot out for a corner.

                Towards the end of the match, Nahuel Guzmán was able to flaunt his skills yet again, saving his net in two moves.

The penalty shootout ended in a sudden-death round, which América won with a goal converted by their goalkeeper, Marchesín, denying Tigres their fourth Champion of Champions title.



                AMÉRICA: Agustín Marchesín; Jorge Sánchez, Mateus Uribe, Andrés Ibargüen (Roger Martínez 69’), Sebastián Córdova, Bruno Valdez, Emanuel Aguilera, Henry Martín (Nicolás Castillo 63’), Paul Aguilar, Fernando González and Renato Ibarra.

                MGR.: MIGUEL HERRERA

                TIGRES: Nahuel Guzmán; Jesús Dueñas, Hugo Ayala, Jorge Torres Nilo, Luis Rodríguez, Rafael de Souza, Guido Pizarro, Javier Aquino, Lucas Zelarayán (Eduardo Vargas 58’), Luis Quiñones (Jürgen Damm 76’) and André-Pierre Gignac.

                MGR.: RICARDO FERRETTI