Tigres’ Qualification Complicated: 2-2!

               SAN NICOLÁS DE LOS GARZA, October 27.-The UANL Tigres were unable to hold on to their 2-1 advantage and ultimately drew 2-2 against the BUAP Lobos, complicating their Apertura 2018 Playoff hopes.

                Julián Quiñones came on in the second half and scored two goals, but this was insufficient to defeat an opponent favored by the only two Video Assistant Referee (VAR)interventions, which validated a penalty for Lobos and a play that culminated in the equalizer.


                FIRST HALF

                The start of the match was promising for our team, who rapidly created opportunities, penetrating the attacking half with the idea of scoring quickly to gain an advantage, but they faced a solid rival who was in no hurry to move up front.

                Rafael Durán started again to clock up minutes and opportunities for Tigres, this time playing on the right flank, where he began to make himself noticed with crosses into the box, seeking a receiver.

                At 13’, Luis Rodríguez crossed to Durán, but the reserve couldn’t find his footing in the box to shoot.

                A minute later, Eduardo Vargas broke away from the midfield, in an individual play that led him to the edge of the box, where his shot went into goalkeeper Toño Rodríguez’s hands.

                Minute 20 brought another chance, this time with a one-two play between Luis Rodríguez and Eduardo Vargas that brought Chaka face to face with the goal, but the goalkeeper blocked the shot again, maintaining zero goals conceded in his net.

                Just fifty-five seconds later, a header by Aquino from inside the box was intercepted once more by goalkeeper Rodríguez.

                Vargas appeared again with a shot from outside the box that went high, at minute 26. Our Tigres were coming close over and over again, but Lobos defended with everything they had.

                Afterwards, at 35’, Durán appeared in the goal area, but the play took too long and the opportunity was lost whennetkeeper Rodríguez recovered the ball.

                However, VAR intervened at 40’, in a play insideNahuel Guzmán’s area. After the review, the referee awarded a penalty, which was converted at 43’ by Leonardo Ramos.

                The final minutes of the first half saw Tigres creating opportunities and trying to equalize, though without success.


                SECOND HALF

               Tuca decided to make his first substitution for the second half, replacing Durán with Julián Quiñones, a move that bore fruit at 53’ when the Colombian scored the equalizer.

                Javier Aquino’s powerful shot was saved by the goalkeeper, but Quiñones caught the ball on the rebound and lobbed it over Rodríguez into the net, bringing the UniversitarioStadium to its feet.

                At this point, our side tried to improve their attack, looking for the second and almost succeeded at 67’, whenQuiñones’ shot from inside the box was just wide to the right.

                Then, at 69’, the Vargas, Gignac, Carioca trio appeared in a play that ended with a shot that just missed the left post. Tigres was relentlessly coming closer and closer.

                At minute 78, in a play that mirrored the first goal, Gignac’s formidable shot was deflected by the goalkeeper, and Quiñones prodded it home to make it 2-1 and put Tigres in the lead.

                Tuca then made his second substitution, taking Vargas off and replacing him with Enner Valencia, with the idea of consolidating the attack and finding the third goal that would allow them to end the match with greater peace of mind.

                And Hugo Ayala came close at 85’, with a header from inside the box that was too high.

                But the opponent exploited Tigres’ mistakes and, at 87’, equalized with a header by Maza Rodríguez, a play that was reviewed by VAR, then validated and reflected in the score.

                Throughout the six-minute stoppage time, Tigres tried time and time again to break into the opponent’s goal area, but, in the end, the points were shared equally on the Universitariopitch.



                TIGRES: Nahuel Guzmán; Luis Rodríguez, Juninho, Hugo Ayala, Jesús Dueñas, Rafael de Souza, Guido Pizarro, Javier Aquino, Rafael Durán (Julián Quiñones 46’), Eduardo Vargas (Enner Valencia 84’) and André-Pierre Gignac.


LOBOS BUAP: Antonio Rodríguez; Javier Rodríguez, Joan Crisanto, Abraham González, Martín Rabello, Steeven Sierra (José Esquivel 80’), Michel Orozco, Jafid Cruz, Leonardo Ramos, Richards Kazim (Alberto Lainez 76’) and Michaell Chirinos (Luis Olascuaga 95’).




0-1 (43’) Handball by Luis Rodríguez inside the box. Penal scored by Leonardo Ramos.

1-1 (58’) Javier Aquino shoots, the goalkeeper intervenes and Julián Quiñones comes forward to push the ball in.

2-1 (78’) André-Pierre Gignac’s shot is deflected by the goalkeeper, and Julián Quiñones comes forward to score.

2-2 (87’) Header by Maza Rodríguez from inside the box.



TIGRES: Hugo Ayala (35), Luis Rodríguez (43’), Jesús Dueñas (47’), André-Pierre Gignac (82’)

LOBOS: Antonio Rodríguez (53’), Leonardo Ramos (62’)


                RED CARDS



                REFEREE: Diego Robles

                ASSISTANT REFEREE No. 1: Andrés Hernández

               ASSISTANT REFEREE No. 2: Juan Carlos Salinas

                FOURTH OFFICIAL: Edgar Ulises Rangel