Victory Slips Away in San Luis

SAN LUIS POTOSI, August 17th.- The UANL Tigres let victory slip away at the Alfonso Lastras Stadium in that city, drawing 1-1 with Atlético de San Luis.

An own goal at 77’, provoked by Hugo Ayala with a header inside the box,  put our side in the lead, taking advantage of the opponent being a man down, but a mistake three minutes later denied them a win.   


There were two facets to the first half, with a slow start for our side, who were having trouble settling in on the pitch and controlling the ball, against an evenly matched opponent.

The hosts had their first opportunity at minute eight, but Nicolás Ibáñez’s shot missed Nahuel Guzmán’s net.

At 14’, Francisco Venegas, who was playing for the first time in the tournament after the Pan American Games, pushed forward along the left, but his cross slipped over the penalty area.

At the 20th minute, Nahuel Guzmán cut off a shot following a corner and later, at 23’, Eduardo Vargas sent a corner kick into the goal area, forcing the local keeper to stretch to the limit to make the save.

Our team gradually regained control of the match and, between 30’ y 34’, found several opportunities, though were unable to find the net.

At 30’, Enner Valencia surged ahead into the box, but the keeper sent his cross shot out for a corner.

Afterwards, at 33’, Luis Quiñones came in from the right, sent a cross to André-Pierre Gignac that came close, but the goalkeeper one-handedly deflected the ball’s trajectory.

Gignac controlled the ball and broke away at 38’, marked by just one defender, but fumbled and missed his chance, although the referee had already signaled offside for the French player.


The opponent  started the second half with greater determination and, at minute 46, Nahuel Guzmán made a spectacular save to prevent the fall of his goal.

Afterwards, at 52’, Gignac got a good look at goal, diving to find a header, but the defense intervened, denying the European top scorer his opportunity.

Manager Ricardo Ferretti decided to make two substitutions, replacing Vargas and Venegas with Lucas Zelarayán and Jorge Torres Nilo, seeking to strengthen the left-hand side.

The afternoon seemed to be improving for our side, since, at 75’, assisted by VAR, the referee sent Camilo Mayada off for a foul on Luis Quiñones and, in the next play, Laso tried to clear a header by Hugo Ayala, but ended up putting the ball into his own net.

The road ahead seemed clear with an advantage on the scoreboard, but, three minutes later, Tigres lost a ball in the midfield, which led to a counterattack and the resulting equalizer by Germán Berterama.

Tigres dominated the last few minutes of the game, looking for the second. In fact, Enner Valencia came close with a cross that missed to the left.

ATLÉTICO DE SAN LUIS: 1 Carlos Rodríguez; 4 Matías Catalán, 5 Pedro Álvarez, 6 Noé Maya, 9 Nicolás Ibañez, 15 Jorge Sánchez, 16 Luis Reyes (10 Ricardo Centurión 83’), 18 Camilo Mayada, 22 Ian González (7 Germán Berterame 61’), 25 Joaquín Laso and 28 Dionicio Escalante.


TIGRES: 1 Nahuel Guzmán; 3 Carlos Salcedo, 4 Hugo Ayala, 5 Rafael de Souza, 9 Eduardo Vargas (8 Lucas Zelarayán 63’), 10 André-Pierre Gignac, 13 Enner Valencia, 15 Francisco Venegas (6 Jorge Torres Nilo 63’), 19 Guido Pizarro, 23 Luis Quiñones (25 Jürgen Damm 87’) and 29 Jesús Dueñas.




0-1 (77’) Own goal by Joaquín Laso.

1-1 (80’) Germán Berterame shoots from the center of the box and scores.



ATLÉTICO DE SAN LUIS: Noé Maya (22’), Germán Berterame (81’)



                RED CARDS

                ATLÉTICO DE SAN LUIS: Camilo Mayada (75’)

                TIGRES: None


                Referee: Erick Miranda

                Assistant referee No. 1: Mario López

                Assistant referee No. 2: José de Jesús Baños

                Fourth official: Aldo Cano